Saturday, May 26, 2012

Set the Second

I've got to really hand it to that caterpillar, it made for an enthralling show. It was pounding its way across the pavement like a madman, and I was rooted to the ground waiting to see what would happen when it hit the sewer grate thing. And how do you like that, it charged down into the unknown!

Then it kinda looked like it wanted to come back up, but still, I was impressed with the little guy.

I was crouched there staring at it for far too long, I reckon.

Thursday night I did my second stand up comedy set. I was warned that my second time would be bad- of course that was why I went out of my way to make my first time LIKE my second time: chiefly by not getting a crowd of well wishers to enable bad jokes. As it happened, a friend of mine (besides the host) was there, so this set would have been more like the hypothetical first set in that I had more support. Despite my best efforts, or probably because of them, yes, this set was definitely worse than the first.

I had gone way over time on my first set, so I was determined to plow right through this one. Which would be fine, except I went ahead and forgot the one bit that actually got me laughs during my first set. That was a major faux pas.

I also decided to take my buddies advice and write my stuff down, then taking the notebook up with me. Recording the material was a good move, but referring to my notebook killed my flow and made me way more nervous.

The venue didn't help in that regard. A stageless, sleepy Hot Wings place, it lacked the blinding spot light, which I THOUGHT would be a good thing, but it turns out that just let me see the humourless faces. Ah, there weren't that many- well, there just wasn't much of an audience at all. My set as is invites hecklers- and I got heckled! I didn't expect that! I couldn't hear what the guy said, but apparently it was "You're not funny!"

I've never been called un-funny before.

Well, that guy wasn't really paying attention to the show,he was there for food, so I won't get too broken up about it. Looks like I'll have to try harder!!

I'll probably figure this out eventually. I need to be more carefully enthused.

This guy Nick that performed was amazing. Most everyone had left, or was in the process of leaving as he was getting started, and this was pretty disheartening for the guy, but then he just didn't care what he said and was hilarious, the highlight of the night. There's something to be learned from that, and I think it has to do with not caring about what the audience thinks, though that seems a bit extreme. Then again, if YOU aren't happy, what are the odds you're making ANY audience happy?? Find your crowd I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment