Sunday, May 8, 2011

Go Ahead, Make My Day

What a weird day, not for the day itself, but how fast I exhausted myself into stupidity. Okay, I was running on 4 hours sleep, so it's not exactly surprising.

I was trying to communicate for the purposes of hanging out later this week, and it just did not work, and then I fell backwards into a gag when Cool Geoff pointed out the mixed metaphor I was attempting to use straight.

When I finally dove into bed between 7-8pm time seemed to stand still, and I dreamed so vividly that when my bro woke me up at 9:30 for a celebratory birthday McFlurry (man, left to his own devices that guy will just always wake me up. I was told that his impulse on election day was to wake me up at like 1 or 2 so I could go vote, meanwhile I'd only had about 3 or 4 hours at that point and the polls didn't close until 9:30. That was a close one) I described the dream as the story to the Hangover 3, solely starring Zack Galifianakis. Because I couldn't remember the events leading up to a crazy asian guy driving my house bus thing into a building while some friends of mine were falling off the sides of the subway.

What's funny is that my bros reaction was "Isn't it just the Hangover 2 that's just come out?"

Yes, that's- that's why I said Hangover 3.

The important thing is, ol' Jordan got me a copy of both the new Karate Kid movie (dude, that movie is a million times better than the original, just saying) as well as The Rocketeer. That's pretty awesome.

And Simon got me the Dirty Harry- Clint Eastwood movies.

A funny note: I created a concept for a comic strip, starring a Dirty Harry-esque cop, but anachronistically set in the old west. So his coyboy cop antics would actually seem crazily reserved as far as anyone else could tell. And he'd have a briefcase, because... where would you get a briefcase in the old west?!?!

(Simon actually came up with the most hilarious running gag for this strip- that in the car chases, so the horse chases, when the horses get damaged they'd explode like movie cars. Pretty brilliant.)

So at this point I'd never seen a Dirty Harry movie, but I wrote the one strip where he get's his gun shot out of his hand: "Smith!"

-then he reaches for his ankle: "good thing I've got old Wesson here"

But months later I'm actually seeing a snippet from a Dirty Harry movie, and he SAID "I've got my back up right here. Smith, and Wesson."

So my joke was actually totally appropriate if not entirely original. I assume I "knew" that Harry named his 'backup' via pop cultural osmosis.

No comments:

Post a Comment