Saturday, April 24, 2010

Zadig as typed without a right index finger

Sitting down to dinner, a ton of nuggets and random veggies, beside a radio that is playing suitably rebellious fare.
I'm quite enjoying it, even in spite of the fact that I burned my finger on the oven (so long fingerprint).

I had told myself that I wasn't going to get any more library books for a while, so that I could just play my game boy or do whatever for awhile... but I couldn't help myself and now I've got a good seven books or so to go through. It should be a lot of fun, and I will certainly add the odd impression here, especially for Catcher in the Rye.

Read through the second story in the Voltaire collection, Zadig, and I liked it better than the first story- Candide. Where Candide was an effort to tear down the idea that "all is as it should be in this world" which can be accomplished in a paragraph long pamphlet and be done with, thank you very much.

Zadig followed this really smart man that kept getting burned by his wisdom- chiefly at the hands of jealous rivals- until the end when he finally became king of Babylon and lived happily ever after.

One example of Zadig doing his thing: A Lord orders his harem to find him a basilisk to be cooked as per his doctors orders. Whoever finds it will be taken on as his wife, and he'll get to prepare the basilisk and get well. Zadig wants to marry one of the girls belonging to this Lord (she was Astarte, the former Queen of Babylon before coming on some hard times) so he goes to this Lord, says he is a Doctor and has the basilisk, but that it isn't to be taken internally.
Zadig's prescription has the Lord punching the "basilisk" in a bag. The first day this punching is excruciating for the Lord, but then it gets easier over time until the Lord is finally in perfect health. It's at this point that Zadig reveals that there was no basilisk, and that the Lord just needed some excercise in his daily routine. This success of course threatens that first doctor, and Zadig ends up making another enemy.

The whole story basically consists of such anecdotes, and it's always cool to read about a guy getting by with his smarts.

Man my finger hurts.
Unless I read something else from the collection that really grabs my attention I'm probably done talking about this book. So don't say I never gave you anything.

2 comments:

  1. Oh - I forgot to mention during my hate-on for Catcher in the Rye that you should read Nine Stories by Salinger. Its so much more amazing and a less...uh, "juvenile."
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly will.. but YOU should give Pride and Prejudice a second look. I'd love to hear what you think of it afterwards, even if it turns out that you just straight hate it.

    ReplyDelete