Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Dark Knight Rises Spoilers

I usually try to get to bed by 8am to get up for 3pm in between shifts at work. This morning I didn't turn in until almost 10, so I pretty well knew I'd be boned for today. Worse still, I got a text at 2pm that I guess woke me up somehow, and then yet another bit of textness half an hour later.

But what can I say? I needed to watch those last three episodes of W. It shares something in common with the ending to Dark Knight Rises- a happy ending.

My one friend says the happy ending at the end of Rises is inauthentic and just a bit of fan-wankery. I don't know about that. I feel like happy endings are a creators way of acknowledging that a work is fiction, but because of that things are allowed to turn out better than they otherwise would.

That's what I like so much about the ending to the second Nolan Batman movie- that whole speech about how 'sometimes people deserve to have their faith rewarded' while the action of the scene is Batman relinquishing that powerful surveillance device that Fox didn't think the guy would give up.

I'm not going to sit here and say I'm in favour of all happy endings... but I may be. I may just be a total sucker for that stuff.

But especially with Kamen Rider W- they took me to the opposite end of the spectrum, a real downer ending. If they ended the series one episode early, crazy sad. But then they turn it all around in the epilogue episode. I'm grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment