Thursday, June 16, 2011

That other time of year

I'm pretty sure I'm behind on posts this month, but I have time to catch up. I still have to do part 2 to my previous post, not that I've sat down and decided what I was going to write, haven't had the time for that, PLUS the subject matter, about the September comic relaunch/renumbering/rebooting over at DC has been so exhaustively discussed (surprisingly well, in fact, over at newsarama.com- MAYBE I should check out those comic/film/pop culture web sites more often... probably not) that I'm almost certainly treading through old ground.

I don't have a lot of time, I'm thankfully working today, so I need to get to bed, but I wanted to take a moment to post something about my mom. It's now three years since she died, though it naturally doesn't feel like that long at all.

You know she loved Die Hard? It was weird, mom's got this thing about action flicks- Die Hard, Bad Boys, and the Lethal Weapons. I haven't even seen the movies from the last two series... anyway, that was always surprising to me. She was wary of the violence in Power Rangers, she wasn't always sure about some of those comics of mine (they were ALL Spidey, and all really tame), but every once in a while I'd hear about how she loved those movies.

It was probably all due to Bruce Willis and Mel Gibson.

Well, sure- I love Bruce Willis! Who doesn't?

And she was nuts about Jane Austen, she tore through all her books several times, but what was cool about that one is that she'd apparently never read any of them before I had my Romantics class and went "hey mom, I think you'd really like Pride and Prejudice, it's great..."

I just like that that was one of those times when I GOT it. When I made that right call- yes, that goes with that person (I've posted before about how deflating it is when you get it wrong).

Anyways, this is pretty sad, so I'm going to go sleep until 3:30, then go to work. The daily grind and all that.

No comments:

Post a Comment