Sunday, April 24, 2011

Plus the theme song to Psych is catchy too

Went to bed a bit early I think today- 4am, now it's 7:30 and I've been up since 7.

So I'll just take a quick break to drink water, type here, then give bed another shot for awhile.

I heard about this show, Psych, a while ago and it really piqued my interest. I'd read all about it over at tvtropes.org- it's about a guy so good at observation the police don't believe that he ISN'T working with the criminals he gives tips on, so to save himself from jail he pretends he's psychic, and now he operates a psychic detective agency. A cop show with some sillyness to it, that's like two of my favourite things right there.

So a couple of weeks ago my youngest brother (whom I don't always get along with) is looking for something to download to watch on his X-Boxamajig and he scrolls past Psych as an option. I tell him to give that one a shot (mostly cause, you know, I've been wanting to try it forver myself)- not only was it indeed awesome, but my brother really liked it too. Like, a lot.

So he's seen something like 24 episodes at this point, mostly while I wasn't around, and when I WAS around I was trying to write here or do reviews or something, so I was torn between two worlds.

Finally yesterday I picked up that X-mawatzit controller and had a marathon watching session.

It's pretty nice that this is a show we can both enjoy... even if it's not necessarily at the same time.

Of the two main characters, Shawn (the "psychic" one) and Gus (the best friend dragged along for the ride) I was worried about Shawn's slickness, charming his way through life would get on my nerves- it hasn't, but I can easily see that as a fair complaint from someone watching the show.

It's not so much a problem for me, I'm thinking, because a) it's just a tv show and b) Gus keeps coming back for more, enabling Shawn, while every once in a while getting in a lick of his own in.

Plus both of these actors are insanely funny, with Shawn basically pulling off a modern day Ace Ventura and Gus having the best "half angry sorta resisting but then going along with it" reaction shots... hmm, I guess it's sort of a George Costanza thing? But without so much yelling, and is much smarter (as he'll be happy to tell you.)

So alright then.

I've got Offspring's "Self Esteem" stuck in my head... at least I got to check out all the lyrics just now, maybe that'll get it out of my system. As a rule I don't really care that much for songs that sort of put down the self, so there's this one, "Creep" and... googling... Everclear's "She's So High Above Me".

Curse their catchiness!

No comments:

Post a Comment