Saturday, April 30, 2011

Am I crazy? See if what I'm talking about as far as Superman makes sense.

Skipped the McDonalds breakfast for dinner today. Had a craving for macaroni and cheese. Picked up a frozen version at the store, had a glass of milk, after posting here will have apple for dessert.

It's interesting to note the progression of interest in the food info on the sides of boxes. Before, all that mattered was calories, because I nkew I wasn't getting enough. The next priority was vitamin C, then A. I've gone through kicks where high fibre was where it was at.

Currently I'm on a calcium kick. Doing the math, I just haven't been getting enough, at least not from classic sources in the dairy group. The hope is that this will prove to be that one factor that leads to my toe ouchies.

Science!

The last bit of trek home, with a frozen mac and cheese box in my hand (I covered this already) and complicated series of thoughts zipped through my brain (not that the thoughts/concepts themselves were difficult, just keeping track of the stream of consciousness, which I didn't really do, so naturally thinking back on it it at least seems complicated) there was something about politics, and then "objectivism" just popped into my head.

It may have been linked in part to the political stuff, but what I'd prefer to think it is was just a delayed message bomb from when I saw some guy on the subway with a copy of Atlas Shrugged 14 hours ago.

In the Toronto Star, I guess yesterdays paper, there's an article about "Whoah Superman Renounces American Citizenship".

It was a short back up story in this weeks Action Comics #900 by David S. Goyer. That guy. He has this huge drive to inject superheroes into real life situations, this story has Superman take part in a non violent protest in Iran I believe, which has ramifications on the American home front. So Superman says "I'm tired of my actions being construed as American policy. I've been thinking about renouncing my American citizenship to deal with this."

Not that that would EVER work in story or out. He will always be seen as an American icon, and Superman is powerless to stop it. Mwahahaha! Luthor's brilliant plan has come to fruition!

I assume.

Unless done REALLY well, the insert-super-guy-into-real-life-situation is usually just a big turn off. Because it usually makes zero sense. The story goes like this:

Populace- "Oh no! Hunger in the middle east! What shall we do?"

Superman- "I will save you!"

Populace- "Superman, yay!"

Populace mixed with real world or SOMETHING- "Hold on, Superman! Even though you can do this and this and this, you CAN'T solve hunger, because you're just a comic, and having you 'defeat' hunger in a comic would trivialize hunger in the real world, so now you're hands are tied. But go ahead and say something about how humanity has to find its way on its own."

Superman- "Shucks. I guess even a Superman can't defeat... hunger!"

Naturally, you can replace "hunger" with "war" or "aids" or whatever, and the story always plays out the same, and it's annoying me.

That reminds me of a couple years ago, I did a random review of an issue of Supergirl that really blew me away. It was following the above formula with "cancer" being the word of the day, we're getting near the end of the comic, Superman is teaching her that lesson about how "there's somethings even we can't do" and then at the end of the comic... Supergirl promises a little boy that she will cure cancer!

Trust me, it was amazing, mostly because it broke out of that stupid box I've been talking about. I'm sure the story ended on that same note of defeat, but for that one issue- what a ride!

Hmm, I said I was going to talk about "Source Code" today, but I still want to eat that apple, and I've gotta get ready for bed and everything, plus this has already been a pretty decent post as is, so I'll call it a night. Morning.

So, as far as my regular quota is concerned:

Mi-shoan Come-plete

Show Me Yo Moves

Falcoooo- yeah okay you get it I'm out of here.

No comments:

Post a Comment