Wednesday, December 8, 2010

On University rankings and then eventually Yogi Bear. But you have to wait a while.

Holy macaroni- Michelle Williams is on the Daily Show right now, and she looks so cute! Maybe it was just her character on Dawsons Creek I didn't like all that much...

ANYways, I may have stepped in it over on the facebook, a friend made a casual reference to her school being the best in Canada, I joked how that was courting controversy from people that are highly defensive of their schools... and then had to become one of those guys? Because I was then on the recieving end of crazy frowny faces?

It's okay though, they gave me a link to a Macleans page of university rankings, so now I know McGill is the best.

Or that would be true, if I cared about one magazines opinion, or in fact what makes a "best university". I've met good students at all sorts of places, and bad students everywhere. The ability to get into a "good school" doesn't impress me.

But even pretending I did care about this particular web page- I find it (using the most devastating word possible) humorous that I'm supposed to be swayed by the little ranking at the top of the page, and ignore all the dissenting opinion from the comments.

This particular comment mirrors my own point of view:

"Every school has its problems. Your education is what YOU make it. Don’t let someone else tell you how much your education is worth...These lists are so glossed over and much too vague to be considered helpful. If you want to go to the most popular schools then this is the kind of list for you...This list was made for the student who wants bragging rights, not for the student who is concerned with his or her education first and foremost."

But my pointing out of this to McGill students makes me insufferable.

It's like preaching to not-the-choir. They just don't want to hear it.

Alright enough of this topic.

Tuesday I made plans to visit a friend of mine on Thursday. She said she would give me a call Wednesday(today) to finalize plans. What I immediately knew, but did NOT say, was that I didn't really expect her to call me. If I intimated to her that she would forget, that would hurt her feelings, she would get defensive, suddenly I feel like a bad guy again.

So, I mean, there's a reason we don't hang out that much.

I hear what the readers at home are thinking: but Isaac, maybe if you talked about this problem, it could get or better or something!

See, I knew you'd say that! But what you missed is that my description of her getting hurt and defensive, that isn't a theoretical situation. I've done it, that's what happens.

...

This post is lame, it's all complainy sounding.

*NEWS BULLETIN*

Ebizo Ichikawa, 33 year old star of Kibuki shows over in Japan, also known as "The Prince of Kabuki" (which is AWESOME) is no longer allowed to participate in kabuki because of the drunken brawl he participated in, which damaged his face! Drama! It's estimated that his absence from stage and screen has cost Japanese media between 1.2- 2.4 million dollars.

That is an epic story. I want to see a movie based on this.

On some Wikileaks stuff (which is a story of great interest to me, if I haven't made that clear already) here's a handy quote from U.S. Defence Secretary Robert Gates:
"The fact is governments deal with the United States because it's in their interest, not because they like us, not because they trust us and not because they think we can keep secrets."

That is a scary attitude. And he's practically an Assange SUPPORTER compared to some higher level Americans.

Another brief American point of interest- man, I feel bad for Obama with his call to extend those Bush tax cuts. I don't think he made the right decision, but I also think this is something that would have happened with or without his approval (strange as that may seem).

Back on the home front: I like how the political cartoon in todays Metro says nothing. I mean, they USUALLY don't say anything, but this was an especially astounding case. Yes, Don Cherry did say those things.

So I think I finally figured out what has been hitting me as "off" in the trailers for the upcoming Yogi Bear movie (I like Yogi Bear, so sue me. Please don't sue me.)- it's far too animated. The wild expressions and gesticulation are too far removed from the relatively static and dry rejoinders from classic Hannah Barbara cartoons. And I predict there will be no instances of Yogi walking along a seemingly inifinite hallway of a recurring background saying "Sheesh!" about something. That's my favourite part!

Boo Boo looks good though.

No comments:

Post a Comment