Sunday, March 14, 2010

Putting Words to Ideas

I blasted my way through this "Batman and Philosophy" book last night... in fact I kept going and read a third of this book of essays on Spider-Man. It's way too easy to instruct me with a super hero teaching aide.

I'm pleased to note that there are a number of names that always show up; Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Kant, Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Heidegger and others- it's comforting that this ISN'T the first time I've read those names.

I especially enjoyed Heidegger in this book, here's a passage that caught my eye... okay here it is:
"But what does it mean to want to have a conscience? According to Heidegger, much of what passes for human behaviour is motivated by self-deception, both intentional and unintentional. People are constantly fleeing from their own possibilities, their past, and the inevitability of their own death, toward what is familiar and comforting. This state of fleeing is the defining characteristic of fallenness. We want existence to be something settled, to know we had no real choice in our failures or misfortunes, and that life has a clear-cut purpose we just need to find. As a result, much of social life ends up being an elaborate diversion to avoid contemplating the reality of our own mortality. As Heidegger sees it, we cannot authentically desire to have a conscience as long as we buy into a world in which everything in life is settled and death is some vague and distant event, since the only purpose that conscience can have under these conditions is censoring our individuality."

That was written by Jason J. Howard, most probably utilizing concepts from Heidegger's "Being and Time".
But I really wish I had written that instead.

It's interesting the different kind of language used in "Batman and Philosophy" versus "Webslingers". The philosophy entries are incredibly exact, introducing and defining each new term and how they relate to each other. Part of that is just to get things across to a layman- but I rather get the impression that this isn't too different from most academic writing on the subject. Not that I should really need to rely on my impression- I have read some academic philosophy (by which I mean modern philosophy and modern commentary on philosophy) at school, so- unequivocally (I'm taking a stand. In my chair. Metaphorically, I'm taking a stand.) this is how academic philosophy is presented!

With "Webslingers", on the other hand, there's much more freedom in the presentation, and far less concern with bringing up and arguing against the opposing points of view. The subject matter is necessarily different as well- philosophical subject matter contends with finding the good, maximizing potential, the meaning of life, all that simple stuff- while the others subject matter (it's easy to categorize the contents of "Batman and Philosophy" as philosophy- they tell me what to call it right in the title!) follows the varied interests and interpretations of the various writers involved- the first essay considers the Spider-Man origin story as subversive horror sliding through the Comics Code Authority, another addresses the evident self loathing responsible for keeping Spidey from getting his life together- it's sociology, psychology, politics, AND philosophy.

It's generally broader and, yes, easier, than just philosophy. In fact, in the one essay so far from "Webslingers" by a philosopher (I mean a professional student of philosophy, I wouldn't go so far as to say none of the others are philosophers.) says that if philosophy doesn't make you a bit uncomfortable, then it isn't doing its job right. That's a tough sales pitch.

A final thing, unless it isn't- my title "Putting Words to Ideas", aside from the obvious transference of certain words from in my brain to on this screen, I haven't really addressed why specifically that title was chosen for this post. Howard's interpretation of Heidegger expressed something that I have only barely, if ever, been able to articulate- and it's fantastic to me when that happens. When I see something that speaks to me, that is a real reflection of something in me, it tells me that maybe it is possible to communicate something and connect with someone. I get that with Wordsworths frustration at finding the right thing to write about... I think with Keats too, but it's been a couple of years on that one.
But then watch I'll explain what excited me about someones work (let's say to Wordsworth for hilarities sake) and he'll hear me out and then go- "yeeeah no. No, that's not what I meant at all."

One persons green is another persons orange. But they still call it green. If you get my meaning. It's okay if you don't, just so long as you think you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment