Saturday, April 27, 2013

Illness Chronicle- repeated mentioning of snot and mucus, you've been warned

I seem to be having a very rough time getting well, which is unusual for me. Old school style bouts of bronchitis notwithstanding, I tend to bounce back from illness rather fast. Last week I was mighty sick, but on the mend. I felt well enough to hit the gym on Monday. I hadn't even stayed an hour, trying to keep my expectations reasonable after being sick.

(Although, come to think of it, despite the condensed time frame, I had actually used heavy weights than normal... in retrospect, I guess that was stupid.)

As you no doubt suspect by now, I had myself a relapse after Monday. Nothing too serious, mostly just the annoying return of a running nose- preferrable to the chest congestion I had before- but it was a definite backslide. On a friend's advice I tried a nasal spray to clear things out, a strategy I've maybe tried once or twice before in my entire life.

It was most unpleasant. Not sure the most effective way to get the medicine where it needs to go, spray and simultaneously breathe vs. spray then breathe. I went with the former option and it felt pretty messed up. I could taste the medicine! Highly gross, and ruined my enjoyment of a glass of water. However, I did seem to breathe better... untill about 5am when I woke up with two green-white snot trails (too much information?) I tried the nasal spray again, this time going with the more comfortable spray then breathe. The result, when I tried to lay down and go back to sleep (in effect tilting my head back, which the spray bottle specifically tells you not to do- my bad) was a steadier flow than ever, and I couldn't really fall asleep again until about an hour before I had to get up for work on Thursday.

Simon gave me a couple of cold and flu tablet things yesterday which seemed to work wonderfully.

Despite the mucus I needed to dislodge upon waking up (blowing my nose, coughing for a slight congested chest again) I feel pretty good today. I will not be taking that as a personal go-ahead to hit the gym today, I have every intention of taking it supremely easy on myself and getting back to 100%.

No comments:

Post a Comment