Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Taxi cab slowness and writing

To continue from where I left off, heading home I joined Jimmy's party in his taxi.

Question: those taxi meters are based on time, aren't they? I feel like the driver was, in places, driving much slower than even concern for the storm would merit, in an attempt to goose more money out of us. Like, okay, it's dark and there are street lights out, it's fine that you're going slow, but now we're in a section with full power and that's a green light in front of you. Correction, that WAS a green light in front of you.

We talked about writing during our journey. Jimmy's emphatic that I get to writing, and, you know, do something with my life. He's not entirely wrong- but it's hard to feel to bad about my own output when you've got guys with editors and publishers and writing advances, and it STILL takes them forever to produce something- let alone something of any value.

I brought up the idea of writing as "an inherently narcissistic act". Some other friends of mine suggested that, and I was about to go on about how I disagreed with that, before Jimmy vehemently agreed with the premise.

To put in the most straightforward way possible: you (I) have the gall to think the words that you (I)put on a page are worth the attention of other people? Well, you (I) better! That's what will get those words on the page!*

*disclaimer- these weren't the words used, they are the essential meaning I took from them. If you went to any of my friends to accuse them of this argument, they'd have every right to say they never said any such thing.

But I still disagree. Writing is that art/science mashup of taking your nebulous thoughts and transmuting it into something palatable to yourself, first, and then others maybe. And then, having it grow beyond what you were thinking in the first place. If this, THEN THIS!!.. writeswriteswrites.

Does this even need explaining? It's a creative act! Is it an inherently narcissistic act for someone to paint a picture? To sing a song? Dance a dance? Feng some shui?

I don't believe so at all.

That said, if we're talking about earning a living through any of these creative practices, then okay, that's a different ballgame. And these guys are almost certainly talking about that. So I guess I should get on the same page as them.

I'm sure the majority of my blog is needlessly self-reflective, but it is, in theory, writing exercise. True, I (what's that word...) undermine myself when I don't regularly practice, and try to make up my numbers at the end of the month. But even still, I think I have plenty of good faith entries.

I'm supposed to go see a movie tonight, I'd better be off.

No comments:

Post a Comment