Friday, October 28, 2011

Some Steel

I’m really cutting myself short of time today. I’m still going to have to post this, and my comic reviews when I get up tomorrow, before heading off to that job I don’t want to do.

Hmm, I’m kinda hungry.

Spent the night writing reviews, making my food for work tonight, watching an episode of Sliders, right, and watching the film Easy A. I know I already talked about that movie at length when I saw it in theatres. That thing would fall apart without Emma Stone in the lead role. Anyways.

I did want to give a shout out to Real Steel before it completely drops off people’s radar. I was surprised to the degree that I disliked both of the main characters (Hugh Jackman and the kid who probably isn’t a much better actor than Jake Lloyd was doing Phantom Menace, but surely had better direction. Or hey, maybe this kid just IS a better actor than Jake Lloyd, how should I know?).

That dislike, I’m wondering if it’s a sort of a short hand for displaying the characters at the beginning of their narrative arc? Both these guys change massively through the course of the film, and good for them, but there probably should’ve been an element of that potential shining through at the beginning. You know, the old “diamond in the rough” business.

Oh, man, when that one evil genius Asian guy shows up, and he’s all calm and deep voiced and says something to the effect of “Zeus is unbeatable” it was amazing. He was intense, almost comically intense. Maybe I’m describing it wrong, but when that guy showed up out of nowhere it blew me away, I thought it was great.

I thought they dropped the ball in not including a degree of bitterness towards robots for destroying the sport of human boxing on the part of Jackman’s character. It would have been more rewarding to see this lost man find his niche as a champion when he gets to use his past skills to their fullest to operate his robot for the final match. But I’m being crazy, ‘cause I know it was already plenty rewarding, so whatever. I nitpick.

Most promotional stuff I saw focused on the ‘Atom’ robot, which doesn’t have that great a design. It’s not particularly exciting. I know, again, that’s the idea, but I was really surprised at how cool a lot of the other robots were when they showed up in the film. Maybe I’m talking crazy, I probably didn’t even see that many trailers for the movie or whatever.

I’d better wrap things up, I need my sleep, and it’s that full weekend of work ahead of me to deal with.

I should maybe buy Real Steel when it comes out. And Tron: Legacy too. Or just the sound track to Legacy. Also, I should figure out a way that I could do that without feeling guilty about the expense. Man, it took me six months to get myself to buy Sliders- and I was still guilty over the purchase! It’s been a lot of fun watching it though.

No comments:

Post a Comment