Saturday, February 19, 2011

Thinking of others for a bit anyways.

No two ways about it, I've been in one of my more misanthropic moods lately, but having just read some good comics, I seem to be on the upswing. It's the same feeling I had after the new Tron movie, and, unless I'm remembering it wrong, Green Hornet as well.

Sometimes, you just need an uplifting allegory.

Though I was plenty tired five short hours ago (it's now almost 5 am), I read through all 18 comics comprising Chris Claremont's "X-Men: The End" series. One issue began with a quotation that I had to jot down. I'll assume it's a "real" quote by a "real" person (I say "real" in that it's a person I will never meet in person, therefore real or not makes little difference, the important thing is whether or not the words strike a chord with me- which they obviously do)

Anyway, from Men and X-Men #1, parts of a speech by Robert Kennedy, quoted at his funeral by his brother Ted:

"We can perhaps remember- even if only for a time- that those who live with us are our brothers; that they share with us the same short moment of life; that they seek- as we do- nothing but the chance to live out their lives in purpose and happiness, winning what satisfaction and fulfillment they can... Surely this bond of common faith, this bond of common goal, can begin to teach us something..."

I keep thinking I didn't need to add the last sentence of the quote, that it's a bit redundant, the remainder of the quote, in me even using it here (and of course, in it being used in the one comic) already highlights the idea, and forces us to ask that question "surely this can teach us something?" all on its own.

But whatever, I can add an extra line, no skin off my nose.

Uuhh but the aesthetics!!!

It's fine. I'll take it up with Chris Claremont next time I see him.

I'd use a winking emoticon right now, but it looks weird.

I've got things to do this Saturday, I should get to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment