Sunday, January 17, 2016

January 17th 2016

7:48 pm

Good evening, folks, I seem to have reached the end of a really nice day, cold weather nothwithstanding, and I'll be happy to tell you about it anytime I feel like it after the midnight mark.

But as to what happened yesterday... let me think... well, it's not a TOTAL blank... okay, that joke at America's expense was the day before that (what's the difference between America and yogurt? If you leave yogurt alone for 200 years it will develop a culture- when your audience is european, apparently, that joke kills) so the only thing that's really coming to mind (this is why it's so important to write these first thing in the morning) is that Adeel hadn't shown up, and so Alona had to, at the last minute, get up to do an English Corner. 

She took some time asking everyone how they were... and then Adeel showed up! Err, did he have classes earlier in the day? What happened to those? Anyway, Adeel gave a presentation on what it means to be 'badass'... well, after spending some time making sure everyone was acquainted at their various tables.

When was the last time I got to see someone else present their English Corner? The techniques for when you aren't prepared at all were of great interest to me- what is the dominant strategy (to use a game theory term) to achieve the quality of "English Corner".

I may be remembering it wrong now, but clearly the strategy I took from it (as this is what I employed today) was to always ask the students what they thought, what just happened in the video, always checking their understanding. It's pretty obviously the case that in the majority of my English Corners thus far, at least to speak of the vocabulary terms I've been throwing out there, I've been running through multiple English Corners worth of material, just without enough explanation or student interaction.

I found a clip from the fourth season of The Simpson's for use in today's English Corner- the beginning of the April Fool's Day clip show episode with that beer can explosion which always makes me laugh.

To watch Adeel's English Corner and find one 3 minute some odd second clip for the next day's English Corner cost me my lunch time, but it was worth it.

When my last class was done at 6 I watched Alona leave... but stayed behind myself. I still wasn't sure whether we were supposed to stay until the 7pm buzzer or not. Vicky was too busy to ask (ah, I also paid her for the apartment deposit loan yesterday, so that's one monkey off my back that can go have fun at the upcoming Spring Festival). Once seven hit I grabbed a little something at Food Bazzar-- what it was, err, looks like I can't tell you. Did I mention the sort of inside-out unfolded dumpling with egg on it? Maybe that's when I had that, or maybe that's when I had the little samosa looking thing that also had egg inside. Unless I had boht those things at the same meal... I'll give China this, they can sure give you the feeling of all-day breakfast burritos. Could use some salsa though.

And that's coming from me- I'm not a salsa guy.

Nor am I a chimi-cha-cha-nga guy.

That joke was brought to you by the letter 'b' for bad joke, 'w' for weak pun, and 'f' for foods I've never actually tried*. And viewers like you.

(*Uh, chimichanga is a food right? I was thinking of churro when I said it, which I also haven't eaten I don't think)

After eating I wandered down to the first level to watch about a second of a couple of entertainers singing at a stage that was constructed just for this performance- I think they were selling a car? Or something? Vicky and someone who works at Web but is someone who I don't know who it is walked by, so I joined them on the way out the door until we parted ways at the subway, which I still haven't tried yet, but is definitely on the bucket list.

The number one item on my bucket list is make a cooler bucket list. 

I'll get to it later.

Alright, that's enough for that day I think, I'm looking forward to talking about today. But after sleep- it's my day off tomorrow! That work week went fast! 

8:29 pm and all's well-


Have a good night

No comments:

Post a Comment