Sunday, August 4, 2013

Whale Rider

I dreamed that I was riding a whale, and that I could feel its trust in me, and consequently I needed to be extra careful to not betray that trust. My youngest brother was up there with me- the whale was more what's-his-name from Pinocchio than Free Willy, so there was a fair amount of room, so long as you didn't cover up the tiny blowhole.

It was getting dark, so I asked to spend the night at this seaside hotel, where a big party was taking place. I confused one woman for someone I actually knew, felt super awkward, and then saw my actual friend behind her. She told me it was getting stormy outside, lightning all around, crashing waves- and my whale was being attacked by a giant version of one of those horrible anglerfish things, but it also had sort of crab arms, so even more horrible than it coulda been.

Guilty for leaving, worried for my brother and the whale, I ran back outside. Turning the corner, my brother was running towards me- he had already made for shore, he was safe! Relieved on that end, I turned back to the water, running and jumping in. In an unusual turn, this isn't where I had any kind of drowning nightmare- I could breathe under water! And, almost as useful, could form some grappling/tearing water weapons (Young Justice Aqualad powers... this is indeed a first). I tore off the crab arms from the anglerfish until it sunk away, saving the whale.

Returning to land, I was commended for my efforts, but told it wouldn't do for people to know about it, that it took one person to do this, that the group efforts of the local, what, marine unit? didn't get the job done. So time was turned back such that the special unit could take a crack at it, which left me concerned that they wouldn't be able to do the job, and that the anglerfish would be back.

***

"If you're a writer, then you have to write something."

That was the challenge I spitefully rose against, lo those many years ago. It's what got me doing my comic reviews, and part of what motivated my blog entries. I haven't been doing much writing at all lately, and that quotation above has begun to eat away at me again. It thinks it's SOOO smart.

I'LL SHOW IT! I'LL SHOW ALL THE QUOTATIONS OUT THERE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment