Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Most of fan expo 2013

Here's some general fan expo stuff:

I got up much later than I planned to, but I needed the rest after my work days (believe it or not). I stopped by McDonald's on the way down with my brother so I could download these new games for my 3DS (handheld gameboy type deal) so I could collect other peoples 3DS info wirelessly while at the convention... it sounds lame, and it kinda is, but I actually spent most of my time loading these different strangers onto my 3DS. Thankfully I did eventually run out of battery power!

While my favourite part of a comic convention is the panels, I only went to two this year. One on comics for kids, but there were a bunch of little kids in the audience (why was I surprised?) so it was difficult to get much useful info out of it- though the presenters were really cool to the kids.

The second had to do with a sort of new system of pitching an idea to this particular site, where it'd be voted on by the community at large, and the winner gets a dream ticket to develop their idea. Very cool stuff. Naturally I asked a question that weirded the presenters out-- it was slightly off topic, asking about getting psyched for a project that you didn't develop, but I think they thought I was talking about approaching the whole thing without passion for MY OWN ideas. Whoops. Phrasing.


There was another panel, I think it was a drawing panel (something I could always use some help on) but the thing was cancelled! I could have also aimed for the big DC comics "great news about stuff you should soon buy" panels, but I've gotten a bit disillusioned with those guys.


But whilst searching for the Pete Winning table (which was't easy) I passed this one artist alley dude who started off his conversation with "hey, soft sale, no pressure, let me tell you about my book..." and he was nice, so after I found Mike's table (I left a bunch of my stuff with him) I returned, bought his issue #1 and said how much I appreciate the soft sell. (I think that's the phrase, it sounds weird in my head right now, but you know what I mean)


Oh, I forgot to mention how, when I got there so late, I was't exactly relishing standing in line for a ticket (I brought an umbrella for shade- thinking ahead), but before I even got to the lineup a dude yelled that he had a ticket for sale and I was all "SOLD!" Skipped the line! Nice!


The only other newsworthy thing is when I headed over to the lionforge booth. I had no idea what their deal was, but the dude I talked to said it was a platform for online comic sales, so that's pretty pertinent to my interests as well. I was given a coin that could be used as a game token thing, but I even said the that I'd probably hold onto it for the reminder/website to check out later. And it's right beside me right now- it's got a cool stylized lion head design, I like it.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds fun! I regret missing it this year but alas, lack of funds.

    ReplyDelete