Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Funeral of last tuesday

Behind on things here. I don't think I've been around to mention losing my job- I lost it, by the way. It feels amazing to sleep at night. I probably won't stop talking about that little gift for a while. I may have a line on an extremely part time fun gig. A couple more of those and I'll be all set.

Additionally, I know last time or the time before that I mentioned my Mor Mor. It should come as no surprise that she's died by now. The funeral was last week. I was asked to read a bible passage during the service, and I really messed it up, started at the wrong place, didn't read in the flow of the sentence, missing punctutation marks. Basically I felt pretty stupid, AND horrible, because it's not just some random bible reading. It's my grandmothers funeral! I kept thinking what if I've totally offended grandpa with that slipshod job. Of course I was thinking that while reading, which hardly helped things.

Mental note: read through the passage first before reading out loud, also, maybe grab a bible that didn't have a gillion little footnote markings that can easily be confused for punctuation.

My brother Simon, on the other hand, was amazing! He read through a tribute to Mor Mor that my mother wrote ten years ago for a school assignment at Ryerson. Simon breathed life into the words, he had the audience laughing, it was a fantastic performance. I got completely choked up by the beauty of Simon and my mom teaming up for this job. I think mom would have been heartbroken that here mother had died, but even she would have laughed and felt a moment of lightness because of Simon. Basically, I love that guy.

I was unprepared for the call to pallbearer action. I had a plate of food that I didn't want to go to waste, so I crammed what I could in my mouth, and dropped my carrots into my breastpocket (don't worry, no visible bump, there weren't that many) but yes, overall, very gauche activities on my part. In my defense, there ARE starving children in Africa.

My brothers and I, Uncle Roy, and some other random guy were the pallbearers. We didn't have any notable trouble getting the casket in the hearse, however when the time came to take the thing out and place it over the grave we seemed to make an error. On my side of the casket there was myself, Simon (a big guy) and Uncle Roy, who works on a ranch and is totally strong. On the other side there was PJ and Jordan. Those guys... uh, are weak. Jordan's working on it, going to the gym, but that didn't help at the time. Worse yet, PJ was at the head of the casket on his side, and he's not exactly a leader of men. I could feel the strain on that side, and I hope it's just my imagination that percieved a dipping. We made it, but it should never be that hard.

Afterwards Jordan said how it didn't even feel like he was lifting at all... guess what bud, that wasn't just a feeling!!

Next time, Simon and myself on either side of the front end of the casket.

Next time? Wow, okay, that's a cheery thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment